Thursday 3 March 2011

GRUMPY COW

I once bought some pyjamas which were called 'Grumpy Cow' or something: I gave a pair to my sister, whose boyfriend thought they were very appropriate.

This morning it was me who was grumpy.  The Baby had woken me up at 3.45 a.m. (which was good going from 8p.m. last night) but then wanted to stay awake, and refused to go back to sleep in his cot.  Instead I ended up with him sleeping on his tummy on me, which seems to be the preferred position when he's very snuffly.  The problem is, of course, that I don't then sleep properly as I'm so afraid he's going to roll off or get his nose stuck and not be able to breathe, or something similar.  Oh well: I guess he'll grow out of this snuffliness and in less than 4 months' time he'll be in his own room anyway.

So I was grumpy.  I was annoyed with the Baby for being noisy and not settling back to sleep: I was annoyed with Husband for not bringing me up a cup of coffee and for going on about wanting to go walking with some friends the week that we'd talked about going to one of my friend's 50th parties and then to Bristol to see friends and my family.  The thought of long trips with the three children and without him is not an appealing one.  He then was talking about 'when' he works in Aberdeen (i.e. how the older two will have to be good at getting up and ready in the mornings), and how my giving him a lift to work is a bit silly.  I pointed out to him that if he leaves early for work and gets back late because of work and whatever fitness thing he's done, that it's a long day for me (though I expressed it in a rather more grumpy fashion).  But - and I know this is partly the tiredness talking - how come Men always get to do what They want?  How come they think about themselves first and everyone else second?  If I had a long day at work I would probably miss doing my training because I'd feel that I had to get home to see everyone, and then I'd be cross because I'd be feeling unfit.

Which of course, I am at the moment, and with a sticking out stomach still as well, although there are signs that I am slowly beginning to lose the final stone.  Fingers crossed.  Being over weight and having little money are two conditions which wind me up considerably.

In case the message hasn't yet got across, I was not in a good mood.  When I dropped the children off the Reception class teacher, who is lovely, asked how I was: I said I was grumpy and she gave me a hug.  That brightened the day a little.  Then driving home from dropping husband off, the early morning fog lifted on the brow of the hill just before I descended down to our road, and the sun came out: so that made me feel better still.  By the time I'd taken the Baby to the Doctors for his first lot of immunisations (he cried real tears despite the fact that his legs are now fat enough that you'd think he wouldn't feel a thing) and had a chat with a very nice 6'3" mother of two who I met there, and I'd then gone to Off the Wall for a take away coffee and had a chat there, and then had a brief chat in Cranstons as the lady who served me recognised the Baby from when Husband takes him in, I felt back to normal and ready to tackle the world again.  Unfortunately I didn't have time to do anything further on my opera programme today, but at least I've started it.  'Working' with a baby at home is not easy; particularly not when it's one who wants to feed every 2 - 3 hours.

However we've had two very pleasant days which have been more-or-less just at home.  I've watched Bargain Hunt twice, Cash in the Attic once, and a couple of home-buying/moving programmes.  I do wish I could get some TV presenting work.... In addition I should be rejoicing that both children got good reports from their teachers at parents' evening: Daughter was described as 'exceptional' and Older Son is just above where he ought to be for writing and well above for Reading and Numeracy.  The Baby has a bit to live up to: though he also shows signs of being a cheeky monkey, if his smile is anything to go by.

The Baby's bottles need filling with cooled boiled water and then it's bed for me.  Husband has at least begun our mammoth pile of ironing whilst watching TV (he probably won't do the whole lot but he's started I think).  Goodness knows what sort of night I'll have as the Baby has slept most of the day as an after-effect of the jabs.  But only tonight and then it's the weekend and maybe Husband will do a night with the Baby so I can get an uninterrupted night's sleep.  Good night!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I think you have every right to be grumpy..... for a wee ehile, it'll get better when it warms up a bit. Men do seem to be able to keep themselves at the centre of their universe. I think most women end up looking after themselves after they have given everyone else all the attention they need.
    Take care, catch up soon. Am off work (for no reason other than holidays to take) the week after next if you fancy a break could give you a hand for a few hours. xx

    ReplyDelete