Friday 25 February 2011

FIRSTS (THE JOYS OF SPRING)

We went to Scotland for half term.  Normally I dread the journey but really enjoy myself when I get there.  This time, whilst I had a pleasant time, I felt tired and a bit stressed for a lot of it.  I think it's purely the effort of dragging oneself around with a baby and all his acoutrements - making sure there are enough nappies, wet wipes, bottles, milk, spare clothes.... I would never have considered myself a person who likes routine, but in many ways I missed the routine of a day wrapped around two school runs (and the peace and quiet during the day!).

However I did get out on my own for my first swim in about 4 months, which felt great.  I did 30 lengths without too much effort and was timing steady front crawl lengths at about 30 seconds/length, so I haven't lost too much of my speed either.  The only downside was that my costume felt somewhat tight due to my still large stomach!  The pool in Westhill is a nice one: fairly modern, clean and also quite warm (ideal if you're just getting back into swimming rather than training hard) - and I was particularly impressed that the receptionist lent me her own shampoo and conditioner as I had completely forgotten to take anything in that line.

My other first was today: my first run in about 9 months (since last May).  My new trainers - bought about the time I found out I was pregnant - are still fairly white as it was such a glorious spring day, but at least they have now been worn!  I went out from the house and round Rowbank Woods, excited by the snowdrops and crocuses (croci?) bursting out of the ground.  I did about 3 and a half to 4 miles of 'jog/walk' including a mile's jog from the station back along the old railway line.  It felt great: perhaps more so as I was putting myself under no pressure to 'perform' or prove anything.  My motivation at the moment is to get fit again and to lose the extra stone in weight I am still carrying.

I'm now going to make Haggis Pie for tea, and Husband is shouting for me: doubtless the sleeping baby has awoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment