Monday 25 July 2011

JUST AN UPDATE

Life plods on in the same way: except this week we're in Scotland and yesterday I ran round Loch Muick.  Today I fell down the stairs as my legs were stiff....

Just over a year ago I blogged about a walk I went on near Loch Muick when I was about 8 weeks pregnant.  Now the Baby is here and large as life - in fact with his love of food, larger than life - and close to beginning to crawl.  Today he got lifted himself right up on his hands, arms straightened out: this is in contrast to the last few weeks when he has got his knees underneath him but his nose has dived on to the floor.  Life, as far as the Baby is concerned, gets funnier and funnier and more and more interesting.  Much as he loves people, he is also very nosey and if bunting is fluttering in the breeze he'll be transfixed by that rather than giggling at the silly faces people make at him.  He seems to think my singing is especially funny...

But back to the run and the stiff legs.  This was the first run I had done in ages and ages.  I think I have done about 4 runs since having the Baby, all of about 3 or 4 miles and with plenty of stops.  If it wasn't for the fact that I have been going to the gym once a week and to a spinning class followed by pilates mostly once a week, I wouldn't have dared attempt a run round a Loch where the only option is always to go forward (there are no short cuts.  If you want to get back, you either retrace your steps or keep going.  Nor is there any opportunity for someone to come to fetch you by car).  Apart from a few short bits of walking, I ran, and Husband and I got round in about an hour and 20 minutes - so not even too bad a time.  However my knees were telling me I had run further than I had for a while, and this morning when I woke up my quads weren't too happy about going down stairs. 

They'd already had a few practice runs when I stopped halfway down on one trip to tell Daughter - who was standing at the top of the stairs - to put her pants on.  Next thing I knew I was slipping and my legs wouldn't move into the right position to stop me.  Whilst I like to make it sound dramatic, it was more of a slip than a fall and apart from a bit of temporary carpet burn on my elbows I wasn't injured.  The older two children were a bit surprised though: Older Son was standing on the same step as I was initially and was a bit concerned to see me suddenly start to disappear from view.

We're off out this evening, leaving the two children and baby with their three cousins of about the same age and in the care of two grandparents.  I'm not convinced it's wise, as much for the Grandparents' sanity as anything, but we will only be 15 minutes away by car, and I'll try to get the Baby settled in bed before we go.

Husband is champing at the bit to get back on the computer and any moment now the two older children will get back from their Uncle and Aunt's, where they have been busy making, and no doubt eating, cake.  What with high sugar levels and seeing their cousins, life in this house this evening will be gloriously calm.  Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment