Tuesday 2 August 2011

DEFINITELY NOT SUPERWOMAN

I am not SuperWoman.  I did two 'fitness tests' on  machines in the gym - no, I lie, I did 3 as I tried a third and lied about my age - and they all said my VO2 max. was low.  In fact I'm still lying as one said 'very low'. 

I have also now heard myself singing and I didn't like what I heard.  Well, it was OK but that was all.  I am never going to be a world talent: not that I ever thought I would be, but one likes to dream of a certain amount of success.

HOWEVER..........

I'm not sure much credence can be given to VO2 max. figures from machines in the gym.  I felt fit and strong, even if they didn't say I was, and I know I have good lung capacity from having it tested before.  I also know that my recovery rate is good.  I do still try to exercise at the heart rate I exercised at 10 years ago: but then, what effect does having a late pregnancy have on one's body?

And regarding the singing, there are people around who like my singing, even if I don't.  In addition, it was never going to become a career for me as it's just too late.  15 or even 10 years ago, perhaps - just about - but not now.  But hearing myself has also made me question whether I really am a soprano, or am perhaps a mezzo-soprano, which I have been wondering for a while.  Something to explore further I think.

Older Son was hilarious this evening.  I was down-loading photos from my camera onto the disc drive, or whatever it's called, and came across two which I hadn't taken.  The first was of two of his toys (and quite a good one): the second was a very close-up shot of him, looking slightly cross-eyed, in my study....  he has been told not to go in my study (to be the Baby's bedroom) and not to use my camera......  Husband and I pretended to be cross but I was laughing so much I had tears running down my face.  Older Son was crying real tears, the daft child.

Husband is now walking slightly more normally and fluidly than he was yesterday after his mammoth run, and said that stairs were easier this morning.  A somewhat quicker recovery after 50 miles than mine after 8 miles.  The label 'SuperWoman' will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment