Monday 26 April 2010

RUNS, DRESSES, WEBSITES AND MORE GARDENING

The JobCentre was horrible.  I knew things didn't bode well when a security guard (bouncer) informed 'madam' that she couldn't bring her Costa Coffee cappuccino into the building.  Well, if they opened their doors a bit earlier so that one didn't have to stand around in the freezing cold prior to a 9a.m. appointment 'one' wouldn't have even have thought of going to fetch a cappuccino.  At least it kept my hands warm, and as there was a relatively lengthy queue of people waiting to get in I was never going to be precisely on time anyway: but I had thought I ought to try to make a good impression.

The staff are very nice; but I didn't half feel out of place.  I had to sign a Job Seeker's agreement which specifies I will look on their website every day and apply for 3 jobs per week: I'm assuming writing letters on spec. complies with that stipulation.  I have in fact applied for one job: it's based in Glasgow but I was able to send my C.V. off by email and I asked whether they would consider someone home-based and part-time.  It did strike me that in fact earning anything more than £65 per week would be better than signing on: except I'd have less time for looking for another job and doing the many other things I'm trying to do!  After I had taken the children into Waterstones yesterday I looked on their website, just in case they had any vacancies. I rather fancied selling books: the staff always seem enthusiastic about their product.  I also looked on the Disney website as the Disney Store said it had vacancies, but I couldn't find anything: probably just as well as the staff are all very young and ultra-friendly so it would only work in that twee Disney way if they dressed me up like someone's Mum or Grandmother (I hate to reflect too long on the fact that there are plenty of women around of my age who are grandmothers, including my singing teacher).

I also have two appointments in May: one with the Next Steps after Redundancy people, whom I can ask about training (will they pay?); one with the Chamber of Commerce, which is where Business Link would apparently have pointed me for self-employment/setting up business options.  I'm also starting to get replies to my first speculative letters - nothing positive so far.

The horror of the JobCentre was nothing to the horror of the Hawkshead Trail Race on Saturday.  a) I wasn't prepared, having only done a 64-length swim in the previous week and having only run 8 or 9 miles once;  b) we'd had our St. George's Day dinner the night before so we'd had a large joint of roast beef and plenty to drink: not really race fuel;  c) it was hot.  In fact it's a lovely route and I'd like to get better at it, but it was HILLY.  Not undulating.  Not in the slightest.  I'm sure there was more uphill than down.  But you could see why Beatrix Potter bought up the land she did: it is a glorious piece of England.  By the end I wanted to walk and felt sick.  Tomorrow I'm meeting up with a running friend down at Keswick and, being gluttons for punishment, we're going to try part of the Derwentwater Trail run route.  I've eaten pasta and not drank any alcohol today.

The horrors listed above were alleviated this morning however when I went shopping with Daughter.  Husband is having a themed party on Saturday, and as the only medieval outfit I could find that I liked was £375, I opted for evening dress instead.  I have bought myself a bright red long dress in a lovely soft fabric which falls in such a way that the dress looks almost Roman or Greek: and Daughter very cleverly picked out a 'gold' necklace thing to go with it.  She then insisted on having make-up put on her (goodness knows why she's so besotted with make-up, and I'm not sure that, at 4, it's healthy: but on the other hand it seems to be one of those things it's not worth making a huge deal about) at which the lady (girl) serving on the Benefits counter brushed some lipgloss on to her and said how cute she was.  THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS.  We also bought Daughter red tights.  She does look rather good in red, I have to say.

Meanwhile having been so hot on Saturday, it rained all day yesterday: which was good for the pond.  Yesterday evening I was looking out of Son's bedroom window when I saw frogs jumping everywhere.  We must have counted 8 or 9 jumping out of the pond.  When I later went into the sitting room to do some singing practice at least 3 were sitting on rocks near the window completely still: it was as if rain-bathing is as much fun for frogs as sunbathing (which they also appear to like).  The number of them was somewhat reminiscent of something out of a horror-film.  I'm sure there is one called 'the Frogs'; or was that an Aristophanes play?

List of tasks for the near future: get new washing line pole; spread weed killer around liberally on the area I want to turn into a heath and moorland type garden; finish weeding the vegetable-patch-to-be; tip anti-algae stuff in the pond; do a lot of drastic pruning; finish painting the bathroom; paint Daughter's room (have now had paint a year); finish writing article on gardening and start others; look up Tefal courses; oh, and of course the minor matter of: apply for jobs.

I'll be rich one day.  Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I'm from BBC Radio Cumbria. I run a feature on the Ian Timms Show called Little Cumbria...

    Each week I ask three different people to keep a dairy for five consecutive days, to tell the story of their lives.

    Each diary entry needs to be 130 words, which is roughly 45 seconds in length.

    Once the diary is written, we then arrange a time to record it... And then I mix the three different diaries together with a narrator and theme music, and make a mini Cumbrian soap.

    It runs Monday to Friday at 1745, and is now entering it's 35th week.

    It's a bit of fun, and works really well, and for it to last I want to keep bringing new voices to the feature.

    I search local blogs because it is a great place to find people who enjoy being in the spotlight.

    Would you willing to have a bash?

    Here are my contact details... I look forward to hearing from you,

    Also I have added an example on youtube so you can hear how it sounds… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iDl1_ZxHuU

    Steven

    Steven Greaves | BBC Radio Cumbria
    Annetwell Street, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3 8BB
    tel: 01228 592444
    e-mail: steven.greaves@bbc.co.uk

    ReplyDelete