Wednesday 21 April 2010

HIC!

I've just remembered why I turned the computer on, and in fact why I turned it on at 6.30pm this evening as well.  I wanted to find some recipes which used Limoncello.  I inherited a bottle from my Edinburgh Aunt when she died (well, I took it while I was clearing out her flat) and so far all I've done is drink it.  I'm sure it would make a good sorbet.  Thinking I should look up recipes gave me the idea that there should be a recipe book for little-used and relatively unknown ingredients.  For example Jerusalem Artichokes (or fartichokes as they get called) - Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall suggested roasting them which is, in fact, delicious, but I've only found a reference to them in about 2 books.  Swiss Chard I think I found in Prue Leith, in a sort of flan thing; Kohl Rabi again I think Hugh suggested using like other root vegetables and in fact I used it under his 'Weeping Lamb' recipe along with all sorts of other things such as potatoes, parsnip, carrots, onions, celery... in fact whatever had turned up in the 'oddities' vegebox on Tuesday.

I love getting an organic 'oddities' vegebox.  The problem with vegeboxes is that you never really get round to using everything, but it's like Christmas wondering what will turn up in the box this time.  I still have some beetroot and have decided to make beetroot and feta soup; one of the passionfruit got eaten by me but the other went all wrinkly; the red cabbage will get used when we serve up our St. George's Day dinner on Friday; and we had Fartichokes once again (under the Weeping Lamb with the Kohl Rabi).  I wonder if they'd deliver a box on Friday morning so I can use the veggies on Friday evening.

The St. George's Day dinner was Husband's suggestion.  It would probably have passed me by, but he remembers it each year: in fact I'm surprised he doesn't hoist a Union Jack or the cross of St. George outside the house.   We have invited our Best Friends Locally around: they share quite a few meals with us, in fact hardly a week goes by without us seeing them; they have intimated that they may bring a bottle of one of my favourite wines, which you can only get in France: Muscat de Rivesaltes.  The Rivesaltes bit is important: bog-standard muscat or muscatel is usually really raisiny and I loathe it, but the muscat grown and made in the Rivesaltes area has a lighter, slightly honeyed flavour.

We were thinking of going to France this year: going skiing in Chamonix made me miss France, if that doesn't sound too stupid.  When I lived and worked out there it felt so good to be there; I felt at home, and my french-speaking improved drastically.  Being back there to ski this year brought all sorts of memories flooding back: being child-free for one.  I missed Husband more when he went home than the Children whom I had left in Angleterre.

Which brings me by a roundabout route on to job-hunting.  My optimisim was, of course, unfounded.  There will be a vacancy advertised when the current contract person leaves.  Do I want it?  Shall I apply?  I'm not sure.  There is so much about being self-employed and working from home for the majority of the time which appeals, but I'm scared that it will never take off and that I'll never earn big bucks again.  I've got so many ideas for what I want to do with the house and garden, but they all take money... likewise I still have a hankering to send the children to private school.  I know Husband won't agree with me but Daughter especially is showing the signs of being very bright (don't you just hate pushy, braggy mothers...) and Son is bright but needs discipline/pushing.  I won't start talking about the education system because I probably won't stop, not until sometime in 2011 anyway.  We hear tomorrow where Daughter is due to go to primary school in September: a bit nerve-wracking as Son's school was over-subscribed and I didn't put down any alternatives.

But I digress.  Job-hunting.  I wrote and posted another 7 targetted letters yesterday.  I have my interview with the Job-Seeker's People tomorrow and have contacted Business Link so I can pick their brain about setting up on my own.  Meanwhile I need to register with a host of job websites as well, and I still have a handful of people to write to.  I also need to find a TEFAL course and get started: the booklet listing Accommodation in Hadrian's Wall Country glares at me every time I sit down at my desk.

Which reminds me of something else I have forgotten to do: I really do want to look up a recipe using Limoncello.  And perhaps I should start a recipe book or collection of recipes using obscure ingredients.  Anyone with any suggestions, please send them through to me.

1 comment:

  1. Did you notice that the name of the first British man to finish the London Marathon was Lemoncello? I last drank Limoncello in Venice on Valentine's Day about ten years ago...

    ReplyDelete