Monday 19 April 2010

THE END IN SIGHT?

On Friday evening I went for a lovely bike ride - the first one in ages - in the early evening sunshine.  It made me think that I really should get out on my bike more often.  It was followed by an evening out with some female friends, which was lovely.  And the children and Husband were away so I got up when I felt like it the next morning!

Just before I set out on my ride I had a phone call from the Job Seekers Allowance people.  They don't seem terribly organised - the guy said they needed to ask some more questions and it would take about half an hour, and when I asked if this was on top of the form I'd filled in on the internet he said it was to complete that application.  Then he opened up my virtual file and found I'd answered all the questions.  So he then arranged a Job Seeker's interview for me: and then asked if I would like him to do a job search then and there.  Well, you never know from where you may hear of an opportunity so I said yes.  He asked whether Cardiff or Blackburn were any good.... and when I burst out laughing apologised for his lack of geographical knowledge.  I wish I'd asked him if they were all based at a call centre in India - they may as well be.

The interview was arranged for tomorrow but then I realised I wouldn't be able to fetch Alex from school, so I re-arranged it: which took being directed to about 5 different people.  Tuh!  My interview is now arranged for Thursday morning.  In the meantime, today 5 of my CVs would have landed on people's desks and already I've had a phone call.  It was from a local authority who I would quite happily work for again (well, I wouldn't have written to them if I didn't want to), so I shall phone back and see what's on offer.  Suddenly it looks as if my freedom may possibly be cut short: though I shouldn't jump the gun and leap to optimistic conclusions.  It's nice to be contacted so soon though.

Another beautiful day today and I'm concious that I really must sort out the compost heap - I moved it on Friday and it absolutely stank: it made me retch.  So I busily put some hedge trimmings on it and every earthworm I dug up when I was digging over the vegetable patch later.  But it transpires I need to move it off the concrete paving slabs as well.  So one heavy lifting job coming up plus another move of the stinky heap.  Yuck.

We also need to sort out the rear fence and I'd like to get some turf as the lawn looks manky: I also want to create a raised bed.  So at least if I get some work and have some income coming in I may be able to afford to do all that!  Keep your fingers crossed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment