Monday 12 April 2010

RESTING: THE FIRST DAY

Monday 12th April - first day of term; Daughter at nursery.


I came to the conclusion over the weekend that I had chosen the wrong title for my blog.  Still, too late to change it now: but I felt that I'd rather follow the path set by actors and say that I am 'resting'.  Not that it's been much of a rest so far: I was just thinking this morning that when I was younger, single and unemployed, being out of work seemed really to drag: not so when one's trying to keep a 6-year-old and a 4-year-old occupied.

However I'm not complaining.  So far I'm really enjoying myself, partly as the weather is fantastic.  In a minute I'm leaving for an RICS meeting down in Warrington (a place I'd rather never go near, ever again) but so far this morning I have written down a list of the first 9 organisations to whom I am going to send my CV, and I have also updated my CV and printed it off 9 times.  I also found out the relevant addresses, so tomorrow I shall be ready to write the letters and post them off: before going for a run at lunchtime with a Forestry Commission friend.

Nine doesn't really sound very many when I consider that I wrote to about 300 firms for project management work when I got made redundant by Hillier Parker back in 1990 - and got no jobs from that!  However this time I think I have more to offer - an extra 20 years' experience for a start.  One of the people to whom am I going to work did an English degree, so I can mention my English/Music degree: and one likes cycling (though he looks a far, far better cyclist than I ever was).

The other task for tomorrow is to go to sign on.  Not something I desperately want to do really, but it would be silly not to.  I shall also see if I can enter lots of competitions and win us holidays, cars, money and so forth.  It's difficult not to feel optimistic when the weather's so lovely!  We counted SIX frogs in our pond this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment