Saturday 19 June 2010

THOUGHTS WHILE CLEANING MY TEETH

1.  What a nice nature Son has.  He had a really nasty note in his school bag from one of the other boys in his class on Thursday evening.  Son was upset and angry: but not vindictive.  The next day in school, when I went in to tell his teachers about it, he was brave enough to go straight up to the other boy and ask why he'd done it (apparently the other boy said 'oops'...).

2.  How sweet it is that Son, whilst appearing not that bothered about no.3, occasionally says hello to 'the Little Guy' (his phrase) in my tummy.

3.  That at least, being an older mother, I know my risk of Downs with 'the Little Guy' is very high - statistically 1 in 20.  So I'm not going to get to the Nuchal scan and have a horrible shock: I know the risk is likely still to be high (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something like 1 in 500 - that would be good) and I also know that I may end up having to have an amniocentesis.  I hope I don't, but at least I'm prepared for that eventuality.

4.  The major dilemma of do I buy maternity clothes now or do I wait until after Tuesday - my next, and 12-week, midwife appointment (just to make sure Little Guy's heart's still beating) or even until after the nuchal scan?  I'm just at that stage where quite a few clothes are getting tight but actually to anyone who doesn't know me I probably just look a bit plump around the middle.  And every time I try on maternity clothes I shy away from buying them - it's almost as if I'm in a state of denial about how much larger I'm actually going to get (and probably also the fact that they are all a bit big still at the moment).

5.  My list of things to do.  Photos for the book (and write up some more chapters); my job application or applications (I can't decide whether to apply for the Alnwick one or not); updating and changing my CV; the party invitation for our soiree; research into the Plantagenet Queens who had babies late in life; singing practice; some exercise; finish painting the bathroom (in fact the list of decorating is a lot longer than that, but finishing that would be a good start and mean I'd accomplished something).  I have to earn some money, that's the main thing: there are too many things I want and need to get for when the Little Guy arrives.  And if I earn enough I can always pay people to do things like decorating, housework, and gardening.....  I need a pot to replant the blackberry bush into temporarily... in fact I want lots of pots and troughs and plants......

Now about to join another Mum-to-be club for some more freebies.  Have two newborn nappies so far....

No comments:

Post a Comment