Friday 11 June 2010

WHERE'S MY PERFECT JOB?

I hate job-hunting.  Applying for a job when you see one you fancy: that's one thing.  But this weekly commitment to look on websites which mostly have jobs in London or else have nothing paying much more than the minimum wage is just tedious.  And I'm running out of ideas for people to whom to write speculative letters.

I do wonder if 'fate' has decided that I should concentrate on pregnancy - maybe with a couple of local part-time jobs if they ever get advertised - for the time being: perhaps my dream job will turn up next spring.  There's one in Alnwick I really, really like the look of but it would take a couple of hours to get there so would entail over-night stays, and I also don't think I stand a chance on a part-time and pregnant basis (not that they're meant to discriminate, but it's a bit of a pain if your new recruit then goes off on maternity leave for 6 months or so).

Husband wants to switch to doing mental health nursing, doing a course starting in September 2011.  So long as I can get a well-paid job by then that could actually work quite well.  It's a matter of being patient: not something I've ever been much good at.

Meanwhile I continue to write and to sing, and may be on my way to fixing up my first gig: or rather, the first gig for Le Due Donne:  so-called because I think the accompanist has just as important a part to play as I do.  It's performing together rather than her just accompanying me.

I have also found the most beautiful duet which I want to sing at a, or some, weddings: Pur Ti Miro from Monteverdi's L'Incoronazione di Poppea.  I'll try to import a link to a version of it which I particularly like, though I think I may have difficulty finding a counter-tenor to sing it with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2gwS6pawdU

Going out to dinner now while my parents babysit.  Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment