Tuesday 13 July 2010

LOLLIPOP VINES

I can see myself over-doing the paint and wall stickers theme.  The latest are 'lollipop vines' which have gone up in the bathroom.  I think I should stop there for now: I'm very pleased with all the stickers so far but enough of a good thing is enough: though there will be the baby's room to do.....

Sad how hardly a moment goes by without thinking of or talking about the baby ('the Little Guy').  The exciting news this morning is that Friend C., who told me a few weeks' ago that she's pregnant, has now had her first scan.  11 weeks and 2 days so, as we thought, due about 4 weeks after me.  It will be great to have two babies close in age: I really enjoyed having 'friends' for Son and Daughter when we were in Bristol, particularly for Son as I was still fairly new to the city at that point and my ante-natal friends were a godsend.

Been feeling a bit yucky again yesterday and today (have just eaten my second packet of crisps of the day today), but nothing like as bad as in the earlier weeks: and I'm not so tired either.  I'm going into Carlisle tomorrow so am going to get some Gaviscon as it sounds as if it's OK to use when you're pregnant, and also I think my yucky feeling is more to do with poor digestion than actual nausea.

I heard my interview on Radio Cumbria yesterday.  It was very exciting!  I enjoyed listening to it, although I realised that I repeated 'absolutely' and 'completely' too often.  I'm not sure many other people will have noticed that, but it's something for me to watch out for next time.  I'm still somewhat amazed that people are interested in my story, but then I'm also still rather amazed to be pregnant: every time I go to the midwife or for a scan it's with a sense of wonder that there's still something there, living.  I thought I felt the baby move when I was in the bath the other day, but it's unlikely as it would be ridiculously early.  I also get a bit of an ache on my caesarian scar every-so-often, which I must talk to the midwife about.

If truth be told, I'm now beginning to quite enjoy being pregnant and I'm rather proud of myself for being so old.  I was talking to a neighbour earlier and she said that her cousin in Canada had recently had a perfectly healthy baby at age 48, so that was encouraging to hear.

I was on the phone to my Aunt yesterday and she asked what Husband was like as a Father.  He's fantastic.  He will do nappies and bottles and night feeds (if I'm not breast-feeding).  One of the highlights yesterday was in the early evening when peels of laughter were coming from Son's room as Husband played lego with the two children.  Today I'm going out at about 5.30pm and he's promised to do baking with them.  I'm going to a talk down in Keswick and to meet some writers, but there should be fresh fairy cakes for me when I get home!  That's another good trait of Husband's: he's an excellent cook.

Another highlight yesterday was Daughter's cycling prowess.  I took her up to Talkin Tarn after we'd dropped Son off at school, thinking I'd be lucky to get her round once and only with a lot of help (pushing and pulling) from me.  How wrong I was: she was doing brilliantly, and in fact was far bolder and more confident than her brother at the same stage.  We went round once, stopped to pick up pine cones and have an ice cream, and then she was off again, going back round the other way.  I was really proud of her and I think I may be able to take her stabilisers off soon.  However while she still has stabilisers it means I now feel more relaxed about taking the two of them on my own as I'll be able to help Son get his balance (his stabilisers came off a while ago but he hasn't practiced much since, and needs to be reassured that he can do it) as Daughter won't need constant help herself.  Their swimming is coming along well too: Son did some widths on his back without aids in his lesson (he put his feet down every-so-often but again it's just a matter of his gaining confidence) and Daughter's back stroke with armbands is great: I may try taking her out of armbands for a bit next time I take her.  She's got a really strong kick for one so small.  Talking of which, I put her in a skirt aged 18-24 months the other day: she's getting on for 4 and three-quarters!

I'm so lucky to have them, despite the squabbling and occasional naughtiness: what did I do to deserve a third?!

No comments:

Post a Comment