Sunday 4 July 2010

SAILING ON WINDERMERE

As I write glorious golden evening sun is shining, quite unlike the rest of today which has been grey and dismal.  It started raining at about breakfast time and I decided I'd take the children to Rheged soft play on the way home from Windermere, as they didn't really find sailing all that exciting yesterday.  I'm glad I chose that option: the others got drenched and cold (and the children and I didn't even have suitable waterproofs) and it was windy and gusting out on the Lake, which I'm not sure the children would have enjoyed.  If I'm honest I'm not sure I would have either, I've been feeling so nauseous again recently.

Sailing yesterday was a different matter.  It was sunny all afternoon and we sailed up to Ambleside and back.   The Lake District was its usual beautiful green self and the white sails on the lake were set off by the glittering water and blue sky with cotton-wool-ball clouds.  Once the children had decided to come up on deck they quite enjoyed it, though it was difficult for them not to meddle with things.  They have such enquiring minds, which is a healthy attribute but sometimes an annoying and even potentially dangerous one!

Sister-in-Law-to-be, who is lovely and, I feel, a new friend, and I were talking about how men take things so seriously.  Yesterday there was really no need for any panic while we were sailing: the times when we needed more control we had the engine on, though having said that the lake was busy so we had to watch out for other craft.  Yet the men once or twice made comments as if things needed doing with split-second timing.  I'm sure that was more the case today.  I think if we end up going on a flotilla holiday around the Greek islands I'm going to have to try just to sunbathe, swim, relax and enjoy it.  Maybe I can use looking after the children as my excuse not to be 'crew' as I really can't be bothered to flap that much, and being bossed about annoys me: Sister-in-Law-to-be is a far kinder and nicer person than I am and far more tolerant of being organised and told what to do by other people.  But then I was ever a boshie little madam - or a brat, as Husband called me when we first started going out.  Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that Daughter is so wilfully disobedient and lippy, and can turn on the waterworks when she's told off.....

Husband had run from Pooley Bridge, via High Street, Haweswater, Mardale Head and Kentmere, to Troutbeck and then Windermere and we met him back at Bowness.  His run had taken him over an hour less than expected but unfortunately as everyone thought he had arranged to meet us in Ambleside, we had sailed up to Ambleside to meet him only for him to phone to say he was in Booths in Windermere.   This meant that unfortunately he missed out on yesterday's pleasant and calm sailing and only partook of today's soaking!  However he, Son and I all enjoyed swimming in the lake yesterday evening.   Son particularly loved being towed on a rope ('surfing') from one end of the boat to the other and I got a short video on my camera which resonates with his excited laughter, and everyone else's laughter at his pleasure.  I felt full of air (which is think is a large contributor to the nauseous feeling, as I can't burp properly), which wasn't great for swimming, as otherwise I might have stayed in a bit longer.  The photo of me is awful but proof I got in!
The children and I were discussing baby names on the way back in the car.  Son particularly wants a boy, to be called Harry: I'm not that keen, though it did lead me to consider 'Harriet' for a girl, which apparently means 'home maker'.  I also then remembered 'Anastasia' though I think I'd always wonder if she was going to die a horrible untimely death.  Neither child liked the name 'James', which was more-or-less what Husband and I had decided on for another Son.

Daughter has finally fallen asleep - at 9.15 pm - and it's time I did too.  I wonder what surprises this week has in store for me, or indeed for us as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment