Monday 16 August 2010

FIRST DAY WITHOUT THE OUTLAWS

I've had my parents-in-law here for just over a week: in other words the children were amused by someone other than me for almost the entire time and I was able to do some of the things I wanted to do.

This week has started well, however.  I had my 20-week scan at the hospital this morning and Husband and Children came too.  I was a bit worried that there would be something wrong with the baby or that the children would behave horrendously, but in fact everything was fine - baby and children.  The children and I then had a relatively peaceful time at home before going to Off-the-Wall for lunch.  Afterwards they went to holiday club at the Methodist Church for 2 hours (free) and at which they saw some of their friends, while I met Running Friend A. for coffee at Off-the-Wall.  I hadn't seen her for ages and she's had the experience of bringing up 3 children, so it was great to have a catch-up. What's more, the sun was out!

By the time we had also been to the library and the children had completed 'Spacehop' it was time to go to fetch Husband from work.  Not a bad day at all except for Daughter thinking that for some reason it would be a good idea/fun to empty all my turquoisey-blue Crabtree and Evelyn shampoo, conditioner and shower/bath gel into the bathroom basin.  Her £10 from Grandad is now hers no longer: it's going towards replacement Crabtree and Evelyn stuff.  After all, it colour-co-ordinated so beautifully with the bathroom....  

It's not that it's particularly important or that she made that much mess, but just that it's so wasteful.  The children both have so much 'stuff', in common I think with most western children nowadays, that they don't appreciate things and so when items get broken or wasted they're completely oblivious to any sense of value or loss, and trying to engender a sense of care for and of the value of things is proving uphill work.

It's now looking as if the baby is going to be called Edward; certainly that got the most votes on Facebook.  Plenty of time yet to change our minds!  I feel as though it might be all right now for me to buy some baby clothes and to think a bit more seriously about which travel system to get and where the money is going to come from for it (the In-Laws offered but it's so expensive I wouldn't want them to pay for it all, but it seems rude to ask my mother outright if they're going to buy anything for the baby, and to contribute: though they bought cotbeds for the other two).

I'm also finding that my ligaments ache far more this pregnancy and that I'm getting out of breath at times, which I don't remember with the others: maybe this is one of the side effects of being older, especially as I haven't been doing yoga and pilates regularly.  Maybe it's just that because I'm not working I'm more conscious of what's going on, though having said that the two idiots should be enough to take my mind off it.  Daughter only has two more days at nursery before she starts school: I think the final day will be quite sad as it's been such a fantastic nursery and they were both so happy there, as well as being encouraged to learn and to develop.

For now I'm just going to go to watch something light on television before I go to bed.  Last night it was a DVD of Smack the Pony, which I hadn't watched for ages and really enjoyed.  I wonder if there is anything worth watching this evening.....

No comments:

Post a Comment