Thursday 12 August 2010

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

We have a small collection of books in our bathroom, amongst which is The Swallow, The Owl and The Sandpiper - a collection of poems and thoughts or, as the editors state on the front 'Words of Courage, Wisdom and Spirit'.  I opened it today and happened upon this, which I think is a lovely way of saying 'when one door closes, another opens': or carpe diem, or 'think positively'....

There may come a time in your life when you realise
that if you stand still, you will remain at this point forever.
You find that if you fall and stay down, life will pass you by.
The past has gone, and is now only a brief reflection.
The future is yet to be realised.  Today is here.
Take one step at a time, with courage, faith and determination.
In time your steps will become firm and solid again.
(Victoria Forbes).

It seemed totally appropriate having just finished reading French Leave by Fidelma Cook: not great literature but I warmed to her more and more, empathsised with the initial loneliness of taking a step into the unknown and her self-criticism, and recognised the differences she highlighted between rural and urban living.   A good holiday read and thought-provoking as well.

2 comments:

  1. I read FRENCH LEAVE a week or so ago, and I feel as you did, that I grew to like "Fidelma Cook" - the character she conjures out of herself and her experiences - more and more as the book rolled on.
    All the descriptions of the awfulness of France in its out-of-the-way areas, her loneliness and her fears, her frank accounts of the spiky relationship she has with her son Pierce (to whom she nevertheless dedicates the book!), all build and the final chapters are touching and universal.
    I also really like the quote from Victoria Forbes you share above - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to get a comment - shows someone out there is reading me occasionally! Totally agree re. Fidelma - though I think re. rural areas they have a wierd combination of beauty and 'comfort' for the soul whilst at times being - well, boring! I lived in rural France for a bit and in rural Norway, and now live in Cumbria.... like her I miss city life at times but also love where I am (but at least in the UK I fully understand what the natives are saying - even if you speak a language fluently I think it takes a long time to begin to totally understand all the nuances of a different language). Best wishes

    ReplyDelete