Saturday 9 October 2010

POEMS ETC. FROM THE SWALLOW, THE OWL AND THE SANDPIPER

I shouldn't read this book on the loo - I always run out of enough fingers to mark all the pages I want to! 

My thoughts today were directed towards the children.  I have resolved to spend more time holding baby no.3 and not worrying about housework etc.: I also often recall advice I was given when I was pregnant with Son, which was 'they're little for a very short time: spend time with them'.  I try to do so, but I am aware that it's very easy to think that you really should first just get on with the washing up, clothes washing, hanging washing up, sorting it out, cleaning the bathrooms, making the beds, hoovering.... especially for someone like me who hates clutter and untidiness.  But what, really, is the priority?

I am conscious that every-so-often I need to think 'forget it: have some time with the children'.  So here are some thoughts along those lines from people who express it far better than me, and also some stanzas about bringing children up, which tally with how I aspire to bring my children up.

from Children Learn What They Live by Dorothy Law Noble

.........If a child lives with encouragement
he learns confidence.

If a child lives with praise
he learns to appreciate.........

.......If a child lives with approval
he learns to like himself.

If a child lives with acceptance
and friendship he learns to
find love in the world.

Don't know who wrote this next thought:
I hope that my child,
looking back on today
Remembers a mother
who had time to play
Children grow up
while you're not looking,
There'll be years ahead
for cleaning and cooking
So quiet now, cobwebs;
dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby,
and babies don't keep.

Cats in the Cradle by Guns 'n' Roses
My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talkin' 'fore I knew it
And as he grew he'd say
I'm gonna be like you, Dad,
You know I'm gonna be like you.

My son turned ten just the other day.
He said, "Thanks for the ball,
Dad.  Come on, let's play.
Can you teach me to throw?"
I said, "Not today.  I got a lot to do."
He said, "That's okay."
And then he walked away but his smile
never dimmed and he said,
"I'm gonna be like him, yeah.
You know I'm gonna be like him."

I've long since retired, my son's moved away.
I called him up just the other day.
I said, "I'd like to see you, if you don't mind."
He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I could find the time.
You see my new job's a hassle and
the kids have the flu,
But it's been sure nice talkin' to you, Dad,
it's been sure nice talkin' to you".
And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me,
He'd grown up just like me.
My boy was just like me.

And sometimes it's not only our children we need to put tasks to one side for, but also our partners.....

No comments:

Post a Comment