Thursday 9 December 2010

D.I.Y.

Last night the boiler stopped working.  We have no heating and no hot water.  I also had an extremely interrupted night's sleep: Son came in at 1.30, Husband at 4.00 and Daughter at nearly 5:00.  As a result I was tired and grumpy and didn't want to get out of bed this morning.

The forecast is for warmer (dare I even say 'warm'?) weather over the next couple of days and as the problem with the boiler purely seems to be that possibly the condensation outlet pipe may have frozen, we're hoping that positive temperatures may help.  Meanwhile I've poured two kettles of boiling water on the outside of it and put the 'purple sausage' (one of those bag things which contain oats and lavender, and which you heat up in the microwave) on the inside of the pipe, in the hope that the problem is cured that way.  Certainly between us Husband and I have spoken to 3 or 4 people with condensing boilers who have taken a similar approach and it has resolved the matter: it would be handy not to have to call out a repair man, though having said that our timer has been broken since last winter and it might be useful to have that repaired as well....

It was -4 taking the children to school but I sense that the temperature is rising: or perhaps it's just that I still have lots of clothes on because of the lack of heating.

Both children have lost their chocolate advent calendars as of today.  I can't remember exactly why now: Husband confiscated them for some reason.  I had already eaten Son's no. 9 chocolate for going in my study and getting things out of my 'white box' (namely scissors, glue, sellotape and a biro) yet again, despite having been told a zillion times not to without asking first.  I don't want to stem his creativity but nor do I want papers disturbed.  He made a card for one of his teachers this morning which needed none of the above items.  I'm not quite sure what he drew, and it also got folded in a rather weird way as I didn't have any envelopes the right size, but I'm sure it will be appreciated.

I'm off to make mince pies in a moment and take the portable electric heater downstairs to see if it will warm the boiler up enough to get it going again.  Two of the ferrets - and their poo (lovely) are still in the utility room so I hope they won't burn themselves.  Harry is not looking at all healthy but Maddie came out to see me, tried to climb in the laundry basket and wee'd on the kitchen floor.  She's such a sweet little ferret you have to forgive her but I did prevent her burying herself in dirty laundry as I didn't want to risk ferret wee and poo in there, even if it is all going to get piled in the washing machine before long.

So: mince pies here I come - then off for my singing exam.  I'm somewhat nervous, although I also think I'm as ready as I'll ever be.  I just wish it wasn't all from memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment