Tuesday 14 December 2010

WE HAVE HEAT!

I came back from the children's school nativity plays today to find the house warm and hot water available:   it was lovely, and such a relief not to have to go through the process of a new boiler and a long-winded (no doubt) insurance claim.

Holker Hall yesterday, which I visited with ex-work Friend L., was resplendent with christmas decorations, and although at this time of year the visitor sees around fewer rooms than at other times, the effort and splendour of the decorations was worth it.  We both liked the dining room the best: there was a table about the size of our dining room, set for 12 with an enormous table piece in the centre, and a side table of Tudor 'comfits'.  Imagine being a servant for Henry VIII or whomever and having to go to that effort!  There was also a tree which we reckoned was about 12' high in the entrance hall, and the other decorations I particularly liked were the ones going up the stairs with white fairy lights in.

The shop, food hall and cafe were also good - albeit the first two were far too tempting - and I would definitely like to go back again, and take the children: one of the Mums from school was saying that there's a good garden show or something on in the summer, where you can sit on straw bales eating strawberries while the children run around.  Knowing Cumbrian weather, I hope this happens in May or June, which are usually warm and sunny, rather than July or August when invariably it rains.

The baby was doing the most mammoth movements last night and again this morning.  Yesterday I felt as if I was oozing out at the sides a bit: today he seems a bit lower, and a couple of people have commented that he seems to be as well.  After the children's plays and the warm house I had a midwife's appointment: it was Liz, who I think is possibly my favourite, though they're all lovely.  Liz seems really dynamic and has taken extra effort a  few times on my part; trying to get a Doctor to phone me up to talk to me in more detail about concerns I had (eg. high risk of Downs and whether it was worth having a nuchal scan; low amniotic fluid) and also trying to find out whether I could get the nuchal scan free because of my age!  She's great and I'm pleased that she'll be working at the hospital the day after the baby is born.  She said he was still head down but - as I rather suspected - he has got his bottom stuck out one side and his legs the other, so he's lying almost transverse at the moment rather than curled up ready to pop out (I don't feel as if he's about to pop out either, whereas I remember feeling like a torpedo with Daughter).  Liz also guessed that he'd be 7lb 6oz: we'll see!

At least I think I possibly look less like Mr. Greedy now, which was what (whom?) Husband likened me to a couple of weeks ago.

I talk about the day after the baby's born: this is assuming of course that he doesn't decide to come along early.  As I'm now at 37 weeks, it wouldn't matter in terms of his health if he came along early (he would no longer count as premature) but I'm hoping he doesn't do so while we're in Aberdeen this weekend.  I guess I'd probably better take my notes with me just in case.

An hour or so ago I was sent some photos of Daughter singing at the concert on Saturday: I felt all emotionally maternal and proud again.  She and Son were both great in their school plays, but at the moment I think she comes across better singing rather than speaking: though she was having a lot of trouble with the star costume today, and also she was reading her lines rather than speaking them from memory.  Son knew his but was fighting with a friend for the microphone: and in fact I think that by his age they should be encouraged to speak clearly without a microphone anyway.

I've just received an email from the choir master to the entire choir saying that he thinks we're the third best choir in the district now after Wordsworth Singers and Abbey Singers.  That is some accolade: and what is even more flattering for me is that he says that I'm missed, and is keen for me to come back as soon as possible.  We're doing the Durufle Requiem next term which I don't know but everyone says is lovely: in fact I think I shall go and see whether any of is it posted on YouTube.

Last singing lesson of term and before the birth tomorrow: I won't have another until mid-February at the earliest.  Husband is going to have my slot and learn the flute.  I am going to miss my lessons!  I shall go into Carlisle tomorrow morning and get some flowers from M&S for my teacher, plus finish my Christmas card and parcel posting, and so forth.

I'm looking forward to Christmas: I'm enjoying Advent.  Can the children really get any more exhaustingly excited?!

No comments:

Post a Comment