Wednesday 1 December 2010

SNOW, SNOW AND MORE SNOW

Last week's dusting of snow was only a prelude to what started over the weekend and has continued and grown heavier: we had about 4-5" during the day today and Son was, fortunately, fetched from school by Pregnant Friend C. and her husband, who have a 4 wheel-drive.  Husband phoned not long ago to say that the roads round Carlisle - which he was insisting a couple of hours ago were fine - are now chaotic and that the snow has become heavier in the city.  I don't think I'll be going to my singing lesson this evening!

On Monday I went into Carlisle to drop off my car and pick up a hire car (which has traction control and is useless in the snow, even though in other ways it is lovely: for example heated front seats) but also had a hospital appointment.  They did another scan, just to check the amniotic fluid (c.12 cc) and the flow from the placenta to the baby: which was fine but would have been far easier for the stenographer to have measured if he stopped wriggling!

However the most exciting thing was coming away with a date for an elective caesarean, and not just any old date!  I had anticipated them wanting to get me in and out between Christmas and the New Year, so had asked for 28th December.  It turned out that they aren't working that day, but the Thursday - which was fully booked.  They are also working on New Year's Eve, though because I'd mentioned 28th the consultant said they could do 29th at a pinch.  I didn't actually want 29th so the baby is going to be born on New Year's Eve!  What a way to start the New Year, and what a birth date to have!

It also means - though this is probably as relevant and credible as horoscopes are - that he will be a Friday baby, i.e. 'loving and giving' (Husband and Son are Sunday: 'bony and blithe and good and gay') and Daughter and I are Thursday ('have far to go').

The sad thing is that brother-in-law and his wife-to-be, who are with us for Christmas, are leaving on Thursday 30th so they'll just miss seeing the new baby, unless of course they change their New Year's Eve party to February, when she moves in with him (as an aside, I am SO glad he has finally made that commitment).

I was due to go into school to sing again tomorrow but I'm not sure whether the school will be open: and then Friday is the Christmas Fair, for which we are about to make mince pies and chocolate cup cakes.  Meanwhile Son and Daughter wanted to do some painting but as I can't find their paint brushes they are having to make do with felt pen instead.  However Daughter and I did make her Star outfit for the nativity play today, which involved finger paint glitter, gold glitter, some tinsel which has gold stars in it, and some star stickers.......... now I've just got to work out how she will actually wear it!

Husband is currently struggling home through the snow, I hope with something good to eat.  I'd better go to see what the children are up to.....

No comments:

Post a Comment