Monday 6 September 2010

AN EXCITING 24 HOURS (OR MORE)

Bearing in mind the title of my blog I really should update it on how the job-hunting is going, as it hasn't all been negative.

I wrote speculatively to two Universities which offer surveying courses, and got a phone call from one saying they really liked my CV and if they don't manage to fill their two full-time vacancies which are currently being advertised, they will get back to me about possible part-time work: and bear me in mind for anything relevant in the future as well.  I really fancy doing some part-time lecturing and some research and it would fit in well with other plans and ideas I have.

The publishers to whom I sent my book ideas (and a sample of my writing) were already considering an entire series on the same topic: so of course I replied and said I could do the entire series for them, or at least more than one book.  They said they will get back to me in a few months' time: so again at least not a complete 'go away' type response and meanwhile I'm in their files and, I hope, their consciousness.

Then today I was walking back home from the Drs and the Butchers and saw one of the owners of the local hotel.  They're thinking of asking me to sing at a birthday party they're holding in October - I think one year since they bought and re-opened the hotel - so I need to go in to talk to them in more detail as soon as possible.  It would be my first 'real' gig!

That's all on the job front: financially I worked out today that I think I may well be entitled to Maternity Allowance, which you can start to claim from about 11 weeks before the baby is born.  That was a huge relief and also means that in about 6 weeks' time I need not be on Job Seeker's Allowance any more but can leave the major job-hunting effort until the baby is about 5 or 6 months' old.  I do tend to feel that, whatever the legislation states, people will not employ me in my current obviously pregnant state if they can justifiably avoid doing so: and in fact there are plenty of surveyors around looking for jobs, so it's quite an employers' market at the moment.  I say that without any bitterness: as I've mentioned before in these pages, whilst it would be nice to have more money, in many ways I could happily wait until after the baby is born.

I also think I may be eligible for a £500 Sure Start Maternity Grant (I think that's what it's called) which could buy me a new laptop as well as a baby car seat: my in-laws have generously already said they will purchase the buggy/pram.  Some very kind friends (Running Friend A. and her husband) this morning sorted me out with a monitor so I'm now happy as I have computer access and 'document visibility' again, and don't have to rush into buying anything.  A laptop would make a lot of sense as the baby can then have my study as his bedroom and I can work in the dining room or wherever I feel comfortable.  Husband will have to tidy his study up - I was going to say 'a bit', but in fact quite a lot - to make room for a filing cabinet for me and the printer, but until we can afford the loft conversion I think that's a workable solution.  And if I'm not going out to work and he is, at least my laptop and I can have use of his study during the day.

Penultimately, I was on Radio Cumbria last night for a good 30 minutes including 5 pieces of music.  It was an interview I had very much enjoyed doing and sounded on air more like a chat with John Lipscombe than an interview about me, which I was pleased about.  He kept in a bit about his playing Dave Brubeck's 'Take 5' in 6-8 time on a cruise liner and also a section where we digressed completely and started talking about Watford, which is where he's from: it was far more interesting and amusing than if it had been purely me rabbiting about myself.   He's invited me back in a few months' time, which would be great.

The most exciting part of today though was that Daughter started school.  She looked so lovely and quite studious and grown-up in her school uniform, and seemed to enjoy herself.  She told me they did all their times tables right up to 14x and that they did maths all morning: somehow I don't believe her!  However she fell asleep late last night and woke up early this morning and I think the excitement of school along with lack of enough sleep made her rather tired this afternoon as I had to deal with a complete melt-down (4-year-old equivalent of a 2-year-old tantrum) this afternoon.  She was making so much noise that the baby started kicking: which at least shows his hearing is, presumably, OK.

So time now to read to them and get them to bed early, and then do some singing practice.  The trouble with having a computer back is it's very easy to be tempted to do computer things when I should be spending time doing other things (at least I've done the washing-up).  I'm not complaining in the slightest I hasten to add!  Choir starts tomorrow: and singing lessons on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment