Monday 20 September 2010

JIGSAW PUZZLES - AND THE GARDEN

I loathe jigsaw puzzles.  Helping Daughter with hers (age mostly about 7-9 as she's a bit of a jigsaw fiend and has had a lot of practice) is about my limit.  So I felt a distinct lack of gratitude or enthusiasm when I opened my birthday present from my Godmother to find a 750-piece jigsaw.

However this jigsaw had one major redeeming feature in my eyes: it was a map of the Central Lake District, and I love maps.  Looking at it more carefully, I thought that it might not be too difficult to do: I knew where some of the placenames fitted in overall, which would help, and I thought that if I could get it done then I could cover it with stickyback plastic and use it as a picture on the wall.  I also found that having started it, I was compelled to keep going, especially once I realised that if I did it first thing in the morning without my contact lenses in I could read the very, very tiny print on the box lid quite easily, which made progress somewhat faster.

As I slotted more pieces into place, I grew fascinated by features showing on the map.  I knew Cumbria had an industrial past, but didn't know this was reflected in so many placenames: likewise I hadn't appreciated quite how many disused mines there are in the county.  Having completed the puzzle, with some help from Son, Daughter and Friends of Husband, I have to say I don't want to do it again: but I was pleased that I'd finished it and it will look good on the wall (one day we're going to finish decorating the hall and landing, and I shall have various pictures, including this map, all the way up the stairs).

I'm beginning to get a similar sense of achievement with the garden.  There are still plenty of bits of the garden jigsaw to do: lots of weeding and a space to clear at the front to move some plants to.  But this weekend - again with help from Husband's Friends - I got the rocks up to the bee garden/rockery.  This meant I was able to put in the alpines and various other plants I have bought and transfer some plants from elsewhere in the garden.  The bee garden is now ready to flourish, I hope, next spring and summer.

Since I took this photo yesterday I read that having herbs near the flowering plants helps to attract the bees, so I've also moved some thyme into this area.  I'm just hoping it doesn't take over the whole patch as it was pretty vigorous and well-established where it was and was bought in a small pot last year: but with any luck the new plants will follow its example.  I'm going to add another stone or two to the drystone wall as well, partly to stop people reversing their cars too far over the garden!

I also got Husband's Friends to put some more stones in my 'trench' by the side of the front lawn to create an edge to the lawn and my rose border, and then was able to plant the rosebush I got for my birthday from Special Friend M.  I'm a little worried that the hole I dug for it wasn't really deep enough but I couldn't really get down any further as there were lots of big root remains from the conifer that used to be there.  I'm really pleased with that bed now: when we moved in it was just conifers and green things but at the moment there is plenty of colour there.  I couldn't resist some cyclamen from the garden centre: but I'm not sure whether
they will just die off in the winter and need replacing next year, as some I have from last year in a pot have not yet resurrected themselves.  I do think plants that you have to buy each year are a bit pointless (unless of course you are going to eat them).  I wanted some sweet peas in somewhere until I heard that most varieties need planting every year.

I've also just ordered some double-bloom primroses (Belarina Primula) to put in the border I've created under the trees to one side of the drive: again there used to be a huge conifer there but I've put in heathers (which are struggling a bit), carnations and some other things of which I don't know the name.  I think the primroses will like it there.  I've also stuck some rosemary cuttings in and am hoping that they will take and develop into a low-level hedge.

At some point I will turn my attention to the back, but it's going to take quite a bit of time, effort and money.  Father-in-Law has very kindly offered to put a fence up for us, and I have one climbing rose which is waiting for someone to put some trellis up.  Once I've won the lottery I shall then dig up everything which is there (mostly stones and paving) and put in raised beds for vegetables and herbs: followed shortly after (depending on the size of the lottery win) by a porch to the back door.  After that there's 'only' the side to deal with, which I haven't touched yet and where the weeds are rapidly becoming triffids: I think probably just path is the best bet as it gets hardly any sun.  Oh, and of course, we still need to turn the pond area into lawn....

But I'm beginning to see an end in sight, where the garden needs maintenance rather than major refurbishment.  Roll on that huge lottery win!

1 comment:

  1. Can it stop at ours, too, that lottery win?
    Love your garden story and the pics. What a lot of work you've put into that!

    Sorry to hear your birthday started with tears, glad it got better later on. I'm slightly ambiguous about birthdays (mine is tomorrow ;). On one hand I don't want the hassle and I certainly don't want people to feel obliged they have to do something. On the other hand I am so ridiculously happy when someone remembers, in one way or another. And I have been in tears, too, when my dh forgot mine - and hadn't reminded the children, either.

    (Belated) feedback: I like reading your blog, and I try and keep up with it. It's well written, honest and open, you draw me into your life story and it doesn't bore me at all. I like to read about your contemplations and how you weigh up your choices and make your decisions. I find myself checking the job ads for you ;), hoping to help you find a way to solve your money worries. Sympathy and empathy.

    ReplyDelete