Monday 25 April 2011

LOSSES... AND GAINS

I'm not in a particularly good temper this morning, though I've been feeling really happy recently.  The problem is that I stood on the scales this morning and having been 10st 1lb the other day - i.e. heading in the right direction for something starting with a '9' - I'm back up to 10st 4lb.  Which means theoretically I still have one stone to lose, whereas at 10st 1lb I could contemplate losing just about half a stone to get down to about 9st 7lb (which is about what I was when I got pregnant, though ideally I'd rather be 9st 4lb).  I have a 50th birthday party to go to at the end of May and I'm not going to have anything to wear if I don't lose weight!

The Baby has also decided to have a really unsettled day.  He is, I think, very tired and out of sorts because there has been no routine recently and it's all just getting a bit much.  He's currently crying his eyes out and his father has taken him as I've just had enough.  Isn't it awful how impatient and intolerant you can get with a tiny baby, through no fault of his own?  He rarely cries anyway so I really should have more patience but as I said, I'm in a bad temper anyway - and I wanted to write this and to read Harry Potter, do some French, write up about trail runs.... I can't help thinking that he started crying more when I got annoyed, as well.

I lost weight without even trying after the first two, though having said that, Daughter drove me completely nuts with her screaming for hours at a time when she was tiny (which makes me feel even worse about being so grumpy with the Baby who is an angel in comparison) so maybe as much as anything I was more stressed and that helped with the weight loss. Some people eat when they're stressed - I don't.

The weather has been absolutely fantastic recently and the garden is bursting into bloom.  I've finished digging up everything which was where the lawn is to be extended, and Father in Law has removed two large shrubs from the hedge bounding the hammerhead, which  a) means there's more light on to the top lawn and the hedge looks a lot better (the apple tree and silver birch can now be seen to advantage)   b) that there is an enormous bonfire waiting to be set alight.  The latter is in the old pond hole, which has been filled with organic matter for composting and also set on fire several times.  We should have a very fertile piece of land there soon!


I've also bought seed potatoes and already had packets of runner beans and peas to plant, and now there is more light in the back garden my next project is to put in a bit of a vegetable patch.  I'm hoping that the fact that the back has been covered with a layer of plastic with stones on top will mean that there aren't too many weeds.  Later on I'll need to put some sort of path through (ultimately, with herbs between the stones), and I also want to put a path down the western side of the house which rarely gets any light and which therefore is pretty useless for anything (although weeds seem to grow all right down there, unfortunately!).  In the meantime I've planted some more bulbs in the bed outside the TV room window and some ground cover seeds in the rockery area.

I had promised myself that once I'd finished digging the lawn area I would go for a bike ride, and so yesterday evening I finally got out on my road bike and went down past Castle Carrock and back - about 16 miles I think.  I averaged about 15mph which isn't brilliant but isn't too bad either, and I'm now thinking that I would like to enter a sprint-distance triathlon in September (as well as a 10k run), such as Cockermouth.  I think I'd be in the Supervet category as I turn 50 this year!  Husband is running up to Kielder Forest today via Gilsland and suggested I cycle back - about 30 miles.

I probably need to start being a bit more active in looking for jobs too.  Much as I love being at home with the Baby, I do get bored at times as well - and I want a better income.  I'd like to be able to afford regular swimming lessons for the older two, and dancing classes for Daughter (my French is only once a month and singing once a fortnight whereas the children's things tend to be weekly).  I also need to save up to have the car serviced, particularly as it has an oil leak, and for my 50th birthday party and the Baby's christening - I was hoping £1000 from Femail or the Mirror would cover it but it looks as if they're not now going to cover my story, despite initial interest.  Boo-hoo!

Husband is keen to get out for his run and having written this I'm now more ready to cope with a crying baby (who seems to have settled down anyway).  Adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment