Friday 7 May 2010

FAR TOO MANY INTERESTING THINGS TO DO!

I have to admit that my job-hunting this week has not been quite as energetic as for the previous couple of weeks.  On the other hand I've been following up leads, researching courses and generally following various paths which may bring in some income at some point in the future.

I'm quite sure my running never will, however.  It's just as well I have no aspirations in that direction.  Running has always been my least favourite of the triathlon disciplines, and I do it because it's convenient, it's a great way to get fit, and because the trails and the scenery around here are gorgeous.

Running Friend A and I did a 4.5 mile run this morning whilst our respective pre-school daughters were elsewhere.  I felt somewhat the worse for several glasses of wine last night and a late night: completely self-inflicted but then I think I was rather hoping Running Friend A would send a text saying she didn't feel like going, which would have let me off the hook.  She didn't.  In addition she's somehow managed to talk me into doing the 8-mile Dr's Run in Langholm on Sunday: but she also gave my phone number to the guy who runs the Fitness programme at William Howard School, at my request.  He wants Husband and me to run a running club (Mega-running-fit Husband said I could take out the slow people) and I've also planned an aerobics class which I'm going to offer up: I could get paid for it perhaps.

The Dr. in question - the one who invented the run - was at the concert tonight with his wife, who sings with Gretna Choral.  I was somewhat worried about my duet as I kept forgetting my cues: as it turned out it was fine and I didn't even look at the music.  I got plenty of compliments so I think it went OK:  I don't think people were saying it just to be nice.  I hope.  I know I didn't make as much of dynamics as I should have done so I'll have to try to do better tomorrow night.  The trouble with live performances, of course, is that you only get one stab at them.  I do hope I get some more duets, solos etc. but I still worry that maybe I'm not really all that good.  I wonder whether it's better to be very confident and not worry, or whether in fact being a little lacking in confidence means you work harder at getting things right?  Certainly in terms of the whole choir I think we sang best the pieces we found more difficult: not the ones which appeared easier and which many of the choir already knew and had sung several times before.

When I got home both children had been allowed to stay up late watching television.  Not long after I came in Daughter, bless her, said she wanted to go to bed: quite a change from the child who used to cry her eyes out and kept being put back into a cot as she repetitively got out of a bed.  She is now snuggled up under her duvet looking like young children do when they're asleep: babyish, warm and cuddly and as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth. 

I promised them both a cooked breakfast at Jacobites in the morning, and I also need to go to the Aladdin's Cave of a hardware shop to see if I can buy a prop for the washing line.  Husband is off to do a dinner party desserts course all day and is then planning on making us all fat with lots of puds over the forthcoming period.

I nearly forgot the big news of the day, which is that we have a hung parliament.  It's rather exciting except that I'm not sure uncertainty is a good thing for the country in the current economic situation.   Now I don't work in the public sector I can say what I think out loud: I hope that the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats manage to find a way to work together to form a government.  Gordon Brown seems like a genuine and honest man but, quite frankly, who goes and gets more into debt when one is in debt already?  And the public sector desperately needs drastically cutting: getting rid of the ridiculous numbers of policies and strategies and procedural documents which need to be constantly produced would be a good idea and get rid of a lot of well-paid but very waffly-sounding jobs.

That's not to say that if a part-time well-paid waffly-sounding job came my way I wouldn't snap it up promptly.  Anyone out there got one to offer me?

No comments:

Post a Comment